By Janet Ekstract ISTANBUL- On Tuesday, as the holy Muslim month of Ramadan approaches, media sources said Gaza ceasefire talks between mediators and Hamas concluded without any concrete answers yet. According to Reuters, a senior Hamas official Bassem Naim reported that Hamas did present a proposal ceasefire agreement to mediators during two-day talks. He said Hamas is now waiting for Israel’s response as Israel sent no delegation to the talks which were held in Cairo. Naim commented: “Netanyahu doesn’t want to reach an agreement and the ball now is in the Americans’ court.” So far, Israel hasn’t responded on the Cairo talks while analysts familiar with the Israeli government, highlighted that what’s holding Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu back, are far-right ministers in his cabinet. They already threatened to disrupt the government if he agrees to a ceasefire and many observers have noted that Netanyahu is afraid of losing power. It’s widely speculated that Israeli officials refused to send a delegation to Cairo because Hamas rejected its demand to hand over a list of hostages who remain alive. Naim noted that it’s impossible without any ceasefire deal since hostages are scattered across the war zone, held by separate groups.
Much hope was riding on the Cairo talks, considered to be the final step in reaching an extended ceasefire to purportedly include a 40-day truce where at least 40 hostages, primarily women, children, the elderly and infirm would be released in exchange for hundreds of Palestinian prisoners. Also, in any ceasefire deal humanitarian aid would be streaming into Gaza to prevent a widespread famine as well as an agreement on the exact number of trucks and how many convoys would enter Gaza. Reason for optimism is that Egyptian security sources on March 5, said they are still in touch with the Israeli side for ongoing negotiations without an Israeli delegation. Meanwhile, the Biden administration said a deal already approved by Israel is ready and waiting for Hamas to agree to it but Hamas refutes that.
On Sunday, U.S. Vice-President Kamala Harris speaking at an event in Selma, Alabama had the strongest words yet for Israel when she said an “immediate ceasefire” needs to happen now. Harris, highlighting the “humanitarian catastrophe” in Gaza, said Israel has “no excuses” not to protect civilians and aid convoys in the region. Already, the Palestinian health ministry reported children are starving and dying from malnutrition and lack of water -resorting – eyewitnesses said, to eating food meant for cattle. Much of Gaza is cut off from any food or water supply and when aid convoys do make into Gaza, they are repeatedly fired upon, Palestinians said. Authorities say the situation is much worse in the north of Gaza which is cut off from most access to everything including internet. Israel indicated its willingness to allow aid in through two checkpoints on the southern edge of the territory, it gave permission to open, but blames the U.N. for lacking organized distribution of aid. Widespread eyewitness accounts of Israeli soldiers firing on aid convoys and Palestinians waiting for aid, are a major reason why aid isn’t being distributed. Meanwhile, the response from aid agencies is it’s Israel’s responsibility to provide access and security to humanitarian aid since they control the entire enclave in Gaza. Aid agencies also reiterated that due to what they say is a breakdown in law and order – out of their control, that Israel has to deal with this. As UNICEF Regional Director for the Middle East and North Africa, Adele Khodr said: “The sense of helplessness and despair among parents and doctors in realizing that lifesaving aid, just a few kilometers away, is being kept out of reach, must be unbearable.”