20.1 C
New York kenti
Cuma, Nisan 4, 2025

Israel Pressured To Negotiate Amid Devastating Strikes On Civilians

Mutlaka Oku

By Janet Ekstract ISTANBUL-  In the wake of a new round of ceasefire talks, Israeli airstrikes continue to wreak destruction and havoc in Gaza. According to press reports, a high-level Israeli delegation was in Cairo on August 3 for indirect talks with American and Egyptian negotiators. Israeli media outlets reported that Netanyahu had given the go-ahead for the talks despite Qatar’s absence in the wake of Hamas leader, Ismail Haniyeh’s assassination by Israel’s secret service Mossad. As Qatar’s Prime Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman. Bin Jassim Al Thani stated on X: “Political assassinations & continued targeting of civilians in Gaza while talks continue, leads us to ask, how can mediation succeed when one party assassinates the negotiator on the other side?” Al-Thani added: “Peace needs serious partners & a global stance against the disregard for human life.” Meanwhile, Palestinian officials reported that Israeli airstrikes hit two schools and a tent camp inside a hospital on Sunday, a day after Al-Thani’s remarks. Palestinian officials reported the death toll of at least 44 Palestinians dead including the majority – children. Gaza’s Civil Emergency Service said dozens more were wounded in the airstrikes that took place at the Hassan Salama and Al-Nasser schools, housing displaced Palestinian families. Israel’s military claims it struck a Hamas command embedded inside the schools, saying it took steps to reduce civilian risk. Israel has repeatedly claimed that Hamas embeds itself in civilian institutions using the Gazan population as human shields which Hamas vehemently denies. Palestinian media circulated footage of the carnage that included bodies strewn inside the yard of one of two demolished schools while residents rushed to get the dead and wounded into ambulances, taking them to two hospitals nearby.

 Egyptian and Qatari negotiators say it’s precisely because of Netanyahu’s attitude that no meaningful ceasefire deal has come about. Israel’s Channel 12, quoted a senior source familiar with the negotiations who commented: “This was a trip solely for reasons of protocol, playing for time. Netanyahu’s current positions will not yield real progress.” Army Radio quoted an anonymous source privy to the talks who labeled it “significant” with progress made on issues related to the Gaza-Egypt border. Hamas disregarded Netanyahu’s announcement with senior official Sami Abu Zuhri telling Reuters: “Netanyahu does not want to stop the war and is using these empty statements to cover up his crimes and evade their consequences.” The International Court of Justice (ICJ) in its most recent rulings, demanded that Israel stop all attacks on Gaza and implement an immediate ceasefire. Netanyahu has so far ignored all ICJ rulings with the defense that “Israel has a right to defend itself.” Saturday’s discussions were set to focus on releasing hostages, security issues along the Egypt-Gaza border, sources told the press.

It’s common knowledge that Netanyahu and his far-right ministers are not interested in a two-state solution since they already publicly declared as much. Going even further, the two main far-right ministers Smotrich and Ben-Gvir, previously called for the deportation of Palestinians and for Israelis to buy plots of land in Gaza. Analysts highlighted months ago that the longer Netanyahu avoids a ceasefire, the longer he gets to avoid facing the corruption charges he was already indicted on. Egypt’s Foreign Ministry remarked that unabated Israeli strikes undermine “the strenuous efforts made by Egypt and its partners to stop the war in the Gaza Strip.” The ministry added that it “indicates the absence of Israeli political will to calm the situation.” With the Israelis themselves taking to the streets en masse in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv calling for Netanyahu’s resignation and an immediate ceasefire, many wonder how long Netanyahu can continue on such a trajectory. According to media reports, the Biden administration, frustrated with Netanyahu’s lack of transparency put pressure on the Israeli leader to resume ceasefire talks. No one knows for sure which way the negotiation winds will blow but sources revealed that the ceasefire deal if it happens, would be based on the plan Biden outlined in his televised speech from the White House in May.  

Yazar

- Advertisement -

Daha Fazla

CEVAP VER

Lütfen yorumunuzu giriniz!
Lütfen isminizi buraya giriniz

- Advertisement -

Son Eklenenler