21.1 C
New York kenti
Cuma, Nisan 4, 2025

U.S. AMBASSADOR TO THE UN: Reiterates U.S. Outrage On Eygi Killing, Urges Ceasefire

Mutlaka Oku

By Janet Ekstract NEW YORK – In a statement on Monday September 16, U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Linda Thomas-Greenfield expressed the Biden administration’s “outrage” at the death of Turkish American citizen Aysenur Ezgi Eygi who was shot in the head and died in the West Bank on September 6. As Thomas-Greenfield remarked: “No one should have to put their life at risk, simply for attending a protest. For freely expressing their views.” The U.S. ambassador added: “We will continue to demand details and continue to demand access into Israel’s investigation and press for accountability, regarding the circumstances that led to Aysenur’s death.” In a White House press briefing also on Monday, State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller told journalists that the U.S. is waiting for more detailed results of Israel’s investigation into Eygi’s death before a decision is made on whether to do its own investigation. Eygi’s family has publicly called for the U.S. to do an independent investigation because her parents stated they don’t believe Israel’s assessment will be adequate or accurate. When pressed by the media on this issue, Miller made it clear that the U.S. has sharply criticized Israel’s response to Eygi’s killing and said that the Biden administration told Israel it needs “to make some changes” in the way things are handled.

Thomas-Greenfield expressed “my sincere and heartfelt condolences to Aysenur’s family and friends. Her death, like that of so many others over the past year, was tragic and unnecessary.” The ambassador cautioned about not growing “numb to human suffering, no matter who, and where it occurs.” She called the situation in Gaza “catastrophic” and praised the efforts of “Senior Coordinator Kaag, her U.N. colleagues, and humanitarians on the ground.” Thomas-Greenfield added: “Children are dying, suffering from preventable illnesses, missing school. Thousands have lost parents, relatives, teachers and friends – and have the physical and psychological scars to show for it.” She also highlighted the fact about recent “numerous attacks in which UN personnel and humanitarian workers have been injured or killed.” The ambassador also expressed “deepest condolences” to families of U.N. personnel who were killed in Gaza “and recognize the tragic and unprecedented toll this conflict has taken on the U.N. family.”

Meanwhile, many observers, analysts and experts on the Middle East have made the point that it’s the U.S. administration who has the power to reign in Israel, yet many wonder how Israel can still carry out such grievous actions in Gaza without impunity. To that end, Thomas-Greenfield explained: “We will continue to raise the need for Israel to facilitate humanitarian operations and protect humanitarian workers and facilities, such as the UNRWA school, targeted by the IDF, last week in Nusseirat.” She added “We have also been unequivocal in communicating to Israel that there is no basis – absolutely none – for its forces to be opening fire on clearly marked UN vehicles, as recently occurred on numerous occasions.”  Despite such pronouncements, many have pointed out that the U.S. is not doing enough because such tragic incidents continue with Israel’s powerbrokers continuing to turn a blind eye. Thomas-Greenfield underscored the need for “all sides” in the conflict to “adhere to their obligations under international humanitarian law to protect civilians.” There has been widespread condemnation about Israeli Defense Force (IDF) practices in dealing with civilians, journalists and humanitarian aid workers. World leaders have pointed out that Israel’s response to the over 100 deaths of working journalists along with multitudes of innocent women and children as well as aid worker deaths, has been callous. For months, hundreds of thousands of Israelis have packed streets in protest, calling for Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu’s resignation, labeling him a “war criminal” and urging the U.S. and its allies to hold Netanyahu’s government responsible for the senseless killings.

Yazar

- Advertisement -

Daha Fazla

CEVAP VER

Lütfen yorumunuzu giriniz!
Lütfen isminizi buraya giriniz

- Advertisement -

Son Eklenenler