By Janet Ekstract NEW YORK – CBS News 24/7 reported on October 1 just before 8:00 p.m. Iran fired missiles into Israel, heading toward Tel Aviv, in retaliation for Israel’s attacks on Hezbollah in Lebanon. Meanwhile, White House National Security Spokesperson Admiral John Kirby held a press conference where he took questions about the current situation in Lebanon and Gaza. Kirby addressing Houthi attacks on ships in the Red Sea, explained “These attacks against vessels in the Red Sea are a direct threat.” Kirby added, “We’ve issued new sanctions on individuals and entities” among the Houthis and said a text will be voted on at the U.N. later on October 1 that “unequivocally demands that Houthis cease these attacks.” He also said, “Ships must continue unimpeded through the Red Sea,” adding “The U.S. does not seek conflict but we do seek free flow of ships through the Red Sea.” Regarding what’s going on in Lebanon, Kirby said “The strategic purpose of this is to make sure Hezbollah cannot attack Israelis directly,” adding “Israel has the right to defend itself” and as White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said “We are in constant discussion with Israelis, of course, we want to see a ceasefire.” She said this would “enable citizens to return to their homes on both sides,” and with regard to the death of Hezbollah’s top leader, Jean-Pierre added “We are not shedding tears over a terrorist that was killed.” She said “especially one who has American blood on his hands.”
Kirby mentioned that Secretary of State Antony Blinken was in the Middle East again for talks with multiple leaders on the situation in Lebanon and Gaza. Currently, the BBC on live feed, described the missiles coming in from Iran, saying there don’t appear to be any casualties but reports came in about an attack at a railway station in a city outside of Tel Aviv that injured or killed a number of people. Iran’s Revolutionary Guard said the missile attacks are in retaliation for Israel’s killing of top Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah. Israeli media is reporting hundreds of people are hunkering down in bomb shelters. Israel had warned Iran if they fired on Israel, there would be a severe response. Israel’s Iron Dome defense system have so far intercepted the missiles and the U.S. had warned of the imminent attack based on U.S. intelligence. Meanwhile, U.S. officials are currently watching and assessing the attack and had previously said they are ready to defend Israel.